What’s involved in running a raffle?

I’ve been asked lately about raffles for local schools and also raffles for schools/orphanages overseas, what are the rules and regulations.

It’s really quite easy as long as it is done properly and documented.
The NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing is the place to go to register as an authorised fund raiser. The application is free and provides you with a registered number under which you can fund raise.

Visit http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/charitable_home.asp

Is an authority to fundraise required?

If your organisation intends to fundraise for its charitable purposes it must be the holder of an authority to fundraise (‘authorised fundraiser’).
If you are a person that intends to fundraise for a charitable purpose you must be an authorised fundraiser. However, an authority will be only issued to a natural person in exceptional circumstances.
If you intend to conduct a fundraising appeal in the name of, or on behalf of, another organisation, the appeal must be authorised by that organisation which in turn must either be an authorised fundraiser or be exempt from the need to be an authorised fundraiser.
If you or your organisation undertakes a fundraising appeal, where that appeal is undertaken in connection with the supply of goods or services in the course of any trade or business carried on by you or your organisation, or otherwise partly for your benefit, or for your organisation’s benefit, the appeal must be conducted in conjunction with an authorised fundraiser. The Act refers to you or your organisation as a “trader”.

If your organisation is established under an Act and subject to the control and direction of a Minister, a fundraising appeal may be conducted without the need to be an authorised fundraiser. Nevertheless, this type of organisation must still comply with all other requirements of the Act and regulations including maintaining proper records, and having accounts audited.

The Act does not apply to a religious body or organisation in respect of which a proclamation is in force under section 26 of the Marriage Act 1961 (Commonwealth) or a religious body, or an organisation or office, within a denomination in respect of which such a proclamation is in force.

The NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing have a great website where all the application forms can be downloaded and they now have a free charity e-news service to keep you up to date with find raising laws, practical advice about managing your fundraising activities and emerging issues.
To register for this service visit www.olgr.nsw.gov.au and on the homepage click on “Join our free e-news service” and click on the Charity e-new service and complete the on-line registration form.


Comments are closed.